Hey guys, I hope your day is going awesome. Son, I hope you’re helping mom out and enjoying a day off! Today’s verse is very simple and extremely powerful all at the same time.
But above all of these things, put on Love, which is the bond of perfection.
It’s all about love! Just before this verse Paul is telling the Colossians to avoid behaviors that break us down, and to take on behaviors that will build us up, pull us closer to the Lord, and make us a true example of who Jesus Christ is. Then he comes to this verse to make a very vivid point…3 points actually.
- “Above all of these things” Paul encourages the Colossians to live in a way that is honoring God and will show others who God is, yet he begins this statement by stating that what is about to come is above everything else he just said. This one point is the foundation to all the other points, it is what holds the others up, and without this one point all the others will be useless.
- “Put on Love” The word used for love is Agape, it’s that unconditional, sacrificial love that is displayed through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. This isn’t like “I love that car!” or “I love this weather” or “I love you man!”, this is “I love you so much that no matter what you do, no matter how you treat me, even if you completely reject me, take advantage of me, and try to destroy every tie you have to me…even then I will love you to the point of laying down my life for you.” How powerful is that?! Paul is challenging us to take on the same level of love for others that Jesus had for us!
- “The bond of perfection” The word “bond” is the greek word “syndesmos” which is something that ties everything else together, just like the ligaments in our body pull together our bones and keep them working together. Without the ligaments, our bones would not work together, the muscles would be attached to the bones but the bones would not be held together, we couldn’t walk, we couldn’t stand, we couldn’t even move. This is how important Love is, without love we cannot truly function in God’s design, we will completely fall apart!
So you can put off all the ways of this world, you can get rid of the hate, anger, frustration, and all those other things. You can start to be nice to people, work towards humility, patience, kindness, and meekness, but if you do not have love, these other traits will never become a natural part of your life. Without love we will constantly be fighting our human nature, without love service to others will become a burden, without love we will fall apart.
So how do we have this kind of love? Paul tells us in the coming verses
15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
Colossians 3:15-17 NKJV
Here are 5 things from these verses that we can do to live our lives in Love
- Let the peace of God rule in your heart – Let God RULE in our heart, don’t just make being a Christian something you do every once in a while, let God RULE
- Be Thankful – This is tough, but be thankful for what God is doing and for other people
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you – Be in the Word!
- Teach and admonish one another – Share the Word!
- Do everything to the Lord – Always work for the Lord, no matter what you’re doing
What a powerful verse set! I know I don’t always live up to the calling in verse 14, but I want to strive to live that way. I hope we can encourage each other to live this way, every moment of every day. Then we will begin to see the great things that God has in store for us!